Norton AntiVirus Damaging to Mac OS 8.1 Disks -- Symantec Technical Support has confirmed reports of intermittent disk corruption relating to using Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh, though only under Mac OS 8.1 and only with normal HFS-formatted volumes. Symantec believes the problem relates to Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect and SafeZone scanning and recommends that Mac OS 8.1 users disable SafeZone scanning until Symantec can come up with a solution. John Christopher, Data Recovery Engineer at DriveSavers, commented that the problem results in the disk catalog, extents, and a portion of the disk (from 25 MB to 100 MB) being overwritten with a pattern of F's. His suggestion for data recovery is to try the UnErase utility with Norton Utilities for Macintosh and scan for file types associated with applications you use. If that fails and you have no recent backup, John noted that DriveSavers has proprietary utilities that can often recover data when commercial utilities fail. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software