Action Files 1.2 Usurps Nav Services -- The latest update to Power On Software's popular Action Files now overrides Apple's Navigation Services under Mac OS 8.5 in favor of the enhanced Open and Save dialog boxes provided by Action Files, plus rolls in a handful of fixes. (See "Get a Piece of the Action Files" in TidBITS-434). Currently, few applications support Navigation Services, which replaces the traditional Open and Save dialog boxes in the Mac OS; Action Files 1.2 now appears in place of all applications' Open and Save dialog boxes. Additionally, the update features increased compatibility with Kaleidoscope, works better with aliases and volumes exceeding 4 GB, and allows more control over the program's default settings. Action Files owners can download the new version (1.1 MB) from Power On Software and use it with existing registration numbers. [JLC]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software