MRJ 2.1.1 Available -- Apple Computer has released version 2.1.1 of Macintosh Runtime for Java, a quick followup to last. month's MRJ 2.1. (See "MRJ 2.1 Runs Faster, Works with Explorer" in TidBITS-467.) MRJ 2.1.1 complies with Sun's Java 1.1.7 specification, offers better support for loading applets through proxy servers or firewalls, supports installation on localized versions of the Mac OS, and works with Java applications available from Yahoo Games. MRJ 2.1.1 requires a PowerPC-based Mac with at least 32 MB of RAM and Mac OS 7.6.1 or later. QuickTime 3.0 is also helpful. MRJ 2.1.1 is a 7.8 MB download in MacBinary format. [GD]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree