MindVision Offers Expansion Option with MindExpander -- Ten months after shipping a preview version of MindExpander, MindVision Software has released MindExpander 1.0, a free competitor to Aladdin Systems' ubiquitous StuffIt Expander. Like StuffIt Expander, MindExpander can expand the following formats: StuffIt 4.5, Zip, gzip, MacBinary, and BinHex. Although it doesn't support the common StuffIt 5.0 or uuencode formats (for those, it calls other applications, such as StuffIt Expander 5.1), MindExpander can convert DOS line breaks in text files to Macintosh line breaks. Other useful features in the petite and self-contained application include a slick automatic update capability, support for System 6.0 through Mac OS 9 and any Mac since the Mac Plus, and a contextual menu plug-in that's installed by the MindExpander application itself. MindExpander is a 234K download and, as with the free Aladdin Expander for Windows, a Windows version of MindExpander is available. [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Aladdin Systems Sponsoring TidBITS (06 Dec 99)
MindVision Offers Expansion Option with MindExpander
need, with more than one hundred new features! The leading
professional HTML and text editor for the Mac keeps getting better!
Download the demo and see for yourself! <http://barebones.com/>