Web Confidential 2.0 Syncs with Palm Devices -- Alco Blom has released Web Confidential 2.0, a major update to his $20 shareware Macintosh storage and organization utility for sensitive information (see "Web Confidential: Securing Information of All Sorts" in TidBITS-441). Foremost among Web Confidential's new features is support for synchronizing your Web Confidential data with Rene Laterveer's Web Confidential for Palm 1.0, a separate $20 shareware version that runs on Palm OS-based handheld devices and offers the same strong encryption to your sensitive information on the Palm. You can download and try the Palm version for 30 days, but the Web Confidential synchronization conduit is sent only to registered users. Web Confidential 2.0 also adds a few new features, including support for filling in Web forms in Netscape Communicator, a Last Modified attribute on cards, a cross-platform file format (though only unencrypted files are cross-platform at the moment), and minor changes to the program's categories. Web Confidential 2.0 is a free upgrade for registered users and is a 540K download; the Palm version is a 105K download. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Web Confidential 2.2.1 Adds Import and More (19 Mar 01)
- Web Confidential: Securing Information of All Sorts (03 Aug 98)