Webvan Buys HomeGrocer.com -- The online supermarket industry has started its consolidation, with the California-based Webvan buying Washington-based HomeGrocer.com for about $1 billion in stock. (See "Groceries in the Mist" in TidBITS-470 for a look at HomeGrocer.com.) The combined company will serve thirteen major metropolitan areas by the end of the year (Atlanta, Baltimore, Bergen County (NJ), Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Orange County (CA), Portland (OR), Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington, D.C.) and be in a good position to dominate the Internet grocery business, ahead of companies like Peapod and Streamline.com and the efforts of traditional supermarket chains, such as Albertson's in the Seattle area. However, even though the companies expect their merger to save $200 million in capital investments, delivering groceries still requires massive infrastructure costs in a business that traditionally suffers from razor thin margins. With Jupiter Communications estimating $7.5 billion in online grocery sales by 2003, there's no question that online grocery shopping will succeed, but the players may change significantly by the time the dust settles. But the main problem with this merger? Webvan isn't nearly as good a name as HomeGrocer - what is a webvan, anyway? [ACE]
Edit Last Expanded Snippet in TextExpander
Sometimes you expand a snippet and realize you need to make some changes. Instead of opening TextExpander and tracking down the snippet, use the Edit Last Expanded Snippet hotkey. Once you press your hotkey combination, a window opens to let you edit and save your the last snippet you expanded.
Take the time to set your Edit Last Expanded Snippet hotkey in TextExpander's preferences, and you'll save time in the long run!
Other articles in the series Groceries in Our Midst
- Amazon Delivers Like It's 1999 (11 Dec 07)
- Where Webvan Went Wrong (16 Jul 01)
- Webvan Announces Shutdown and Chapter 11 (09 Jul 01)
- Internet Grocers Drop Like Flies (20 Nov 00)
- Priceline.com Ceases Bidding on Groceries (30 Oct 00)
- Internet Grocery Shopping Continues to Mature (16 Aug 99)
- Groceries in the Mist (08 Mar 99)
Published in TidBITS 537.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Clinton Signs Electronic Signature Bill
- Tests & Fixes for Defective Palm DRAM
- Connectix Continues to Prevail Against Sony
- MRJ 2.2.2 Available
- GraphicConverter 3.9 Expands Image Support
- Aladdin Tuner 3.0 Connects to the World
- Poll Results: We Live to Serve
- Poll Preview: What a Tangled Web We Weave
- Tools We Use: VSE Link Tester
- The MacHax Best Hack Contest 2000 Winners