Netscape 6 Arrives on Wobbly Legs -- With Netscape 6, Netscape Communications has released the most significant version of its Internet software since Netscape Communicator 4.5, though not without some difficulties. Netscape 6 features a customizable interface using downloadable skins; a collapsible field in the Web browser, called My Sidebar, for accessing search engines, AOL buddy lists, news, and other information; and several quick links to areas of Netscape's Web site, such as shopping, travel information, etc. More significant is the new Netscape Gecko rendering engine, which promises improved support for Cascading Style Sheets, HTML 4, XML, and more. Unfortunately, Netscape 6's release has proved shaky; we've seen reports of problems with Netscape 6's installer, or crashes on launch after installation - and these reports almost pale in comparison to problems we've experienced ourselves. On the upside, unlike recent releases of Netscape Communicator 4.x, this new package seems to include up-to-date versions of accompanying software such as AOL Instant Messenger. The Netscape 6 installer is a free 265K download, which then downloads the components you choose; a bare-bones installation averages around 10 MB, and a full installation is 29 MB. [JLC]
Type Faster by Competing in Races
A fun way to improve your typing speed and accuracy is to join an online typing competition at typrX. This typing competition keeps track of your typing speed, while allowing you to compete against other people, either around the world in public races or with friends in private races. To set up a private race with your friends, follow these simple steps.
- Once you have a typrX account, click the Create Private Race button on the front page and you’ll be taken to the private race page.
- From there, copy the track code URL and send it to the friends you want to join the race.
- You can click the Delay Countdown button to add 10 seconds to the clock if you are waiting on your friend to join the race.
- Netscape 6.1 Released (20 Aug 01)
- Netscape Releases Communicator 4.77 (09 Apr 01)
- Netscape Communicator 4.74 (24 Jul 00)
- Expansive Communicator 4.5 Limited to PowerPC Only (26 Oct 98)