iSync Public Beta Released -- More than two months after previewing iSync at Macworld Expo, Apple has released a public beta of its multifaceted synchronization software. This initial version includes support for synchronizing data to .Mac accounts, iPods, and supported cellular phones (such as the Sony-Ericsson T68i demonstrated at Macworld). Palm devices are supported through an iSync conduit that works with HotSync Manager; you need HotSync Manager 3.0, part of the Palm Desktop 4.0 package. As expected in a public beta, some functionality is missing or incomplete: notes or memos in Palm devices do not sync, the Conflict Resolver dialog does not display all fields properly, you can't synchronize with .Mac through a proxy server, and in several cases you could end up with duplicate records. As always, be sure to make a backup of your important data! The iSync 1.0 Beta is a free 6.9 MB download, and requires Mac OS X 10.2.1. [JLC]
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
- Apple Updates iCal, iSync (06 Jan 03)