We're a little too tired to make much of this fact, but this issue of TidBITS marks our sixth anniversary of publication. We started publishing TidBITS each week in April of 1990, which makes us one of the longest running solely electronic publications. If you know of any regularly published, edited publication (mailing lists and digests don't count) that is solely electronic, started on the Internet before we did, and continues to publish today, please drop me a note with a pointer to it. [ACE]
- LaunchBar 6.3
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2, Compressor 4.2, Motion 5.2
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Supplemental Update 1.0
- DEVONagent Lite, Express, and Pro 3.9.1
- FileMaker Pro 13.0.9
- iTunes 12.1.2
- GraphicConverter 9.6.1
- 1Password 5.3
- Security Update 2015-004 (Mountain Lion, Mavericks)
- Safari 8.0.5, 7.1.5, and 6.2.5
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- TidBITS 7.0 (14 Apr 97)
Other articles in the series TidBITS History
- 24 Years of TidBITS and Stronger than Ever (17 Apr 14)
- 23 Years of TidBITS: Thoughts on Our Past, Present, and Future (19 Apr 13)
- TidBITS Turns 22: Are You a TidBITS Member? (16 Apr 12)
- Twenty Years of Memories from Friends of TidBITS (19 Apr 10)
- TidBITS Staffers Recall How They Got Their Starts (19 Apr 10)
- TidBITS Celebrates 20 Years of Internet Publication (19 Apr 10)
- A Few Thoughts After 19 Years of TidBITS (27 Apr 09)
- Follow Along Through 18 Years of TidBITS (21 Apr 08)
- TidBITS Turns 17 (16 Apr 07)
- TidBITS 16th Anniversary Vacation (17 Apr 06)
- TidBITS Anniversary: Looking Back over 15 Macintosh Years (18 Apr 05)
- Take Control 50% Off Sale for TidBITS 14th Anniversary (26 Apr 04)
- TidBITS Turns 13: Setting Goals (14 Apr 03)
- An Even Dozen TidBITS (15 Apr 02)
- TidBITS Goes to Eleven (16 Apr 01)
- Lessons from Ten Years of TidBITS (17 Apr 00)
- TidBITS Nets Ninth Anniversary (19 Apr 99)
- Announcing TidBITS Talk (20 Apr 98)
- Bring Your Own Badge (13 Apr 98)
- TidBITS 7.0 (14 Apr 97)
- TidBITS 5.0 (17 Apr 95)
- TidBITS History (18 Apr 94)
- TidBITS 3.0 (19 Apr 93)
- TidBITS 2.0 (20 Apr 92)
- TidBITS Survey Introduction (08 Apr 91)
Published in TidBITS 324.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- TidBITS in Dutch
- Nagel to Head AT&T Labs
- FreePPP 2.5 Beta Available
- New QTVR Tools and Developer Info
- AIMED Developers Consortium
- TidBITS Reviews Listing Survey Results
- IBM Close to Licensing Mac OS?
- Pippin Appears
- Back on the Chain Gang
- ClearInk Ports WebLint to the Macintosh
- More Bookmarks than Books, Part II