Nagel to Head AT&T Labs -- AT&T announced today Dave Nagel will leave his position as senior vice president at Apple Computer to become the first president of AT&T Labs. AT&T Labs, a new research organization formed around what used to be Bell Laboratories, includes about 2,000 staff members dealing with a wide range of software and communications technologies. Nagel most recently led Apple's worldwide research and development group; prior to that he headed up AppleSoft. [GD]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 324.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- TidBITS 6.0
- TidBITS in Dutch
- FreePPP 2.5 Beta Available
- New QTVR Tools and Developer Info
- AIMED Developers Consortium
- TidBITS Reviews Listing Survey Results
- IBM Close to Licensing Mac OS?
- Pippin Appears
- Back on the Chain Gang
- ClearInk Ports WebLint to the Macintosh
- More Bookmarks than Books, Part II
Nagel to Head AT&T Labs
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as "Tx" for "TextExpander". With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and