By the way, this is a real issue of TidBITS. No April Fools jokes in here. Honest. [ACE]
Copy Existing Filename to 'Save As' Field
While many utilities provide file naming automation, they're mostly overkill for those cases when you need to make small variations in file content while ensuring the documents group together in a "by name" list.
In the Save As dialog, the default name is the current document name. You can quickly change this to match any existing file.
1. Make the list of files the active element.
2. Click on a grayed-out filename, which momentarily turns black.
3. The Save As field now contains the filename you just clicked.
You can modify the name (adding, say, "version 3") or overwrite that existing file you clicked.
Published in TidBITS 322.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Happy Birthday, Apple!
- Greg Marriott Attacked
- TidBITS on TV
- Apple to Lose $700 Million
- QuickDNS Pro 1.1 Released
- Motorola Math Library for Power Macs
- GeoPort News
- AISS Upgrades
- Netscape 3.0 Preview
- Searching for the System 7.5 Update 2.0 CD
- Open Door Enables Multihomed Web Servers
- InterviewBITS with Darryl Peck, Part 2 of 2
Put your company and products in front of tens of thousands of
savvy, committed Apple users who actually buy stuff.
More information: <http://tidbits.com/advertising.html>