Apple to Lose $700 Million -- In a press release last week, Apple CEO Gil Amelio announced that Apple anticipates posting a net after-tax loss of about $700 million for the second fiscal quarter. About half of the charges are related to inventory write-downs and another quarter to restructuring charges. Amelio said, "I'm confident at this point that I know what the problems are and that they are fixable," and he said that Apple would begin to articulate recovery plans in early May. [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Other articles in the series Apple Financials
- Apple Posts Strong Q4 2006 Financials (23 Oct 06)
- Apple Reports $472 Million Q3 2006 Profit (24 Jul 06)
- Apple Posts $410 Million Q2 2006 Profit (01 May 06)
- Apple Posts $565 Million Q1 2006 Profit (23 Jan 06)
- Apple Quadruples Q4 Profit (17 Oct 05)
- Apple Revenue Balloons to $3.5 Billion in Third Quarter (18 Jul 05)
- Apple Posts Highest Ever First Quarter Profit (17 Jan 05)
- Apple Reports $106 Million Fourth Quarter Profit (18 Oct 04)
- Apple Posts $61 million Q3 Profit, Confirms G5 iMacs (19 Jul 04)
- Apple Posts $46 million Q2 Profit (26 Apr 04)
- Apple Posts $44 Million Fourth Quarter Profit (20 Oct 03)
- Apple Posts $19 Million Q3 Profit (21 Jul 03)
- Apple Posts $14 Million Q2 Profit (21 Apr 03)
- Apple Posts $8 Million Loss (20 Jan 03)
- Apple Posts $45 Million Q4 Loss (21 Oct 02)
- Apple Posts $32 Million Q3 Profit (22 Jul 02)
- Apple Posts $38 Million Profit (21 Jan 02)
- Apple Posts $66 Million Profit (22 Oct 01)
- Apple Posts $61 Million Q3 Profit (23 Jul 01)
- PowerBook G4 Titanium Propels Apple $43 Million Profit (23 Apr 01)
- Apple Announces Less of a Loss (22 Jan 01)
- Apple Posts $170 Million Profit (23 Oct 00)
- Apple Posts $200 Million Profit & Returns to Circuit City (24 Jul 00)
- Apple Announces $233 Million Profit and 2-for-1 Split (24 Apr 00)
- Apple Posts $183 Million Profit (24 Jan 00)
- Apple Posts $111 Million Profit (18 Oct 99)
- Apple Pulls In $203 Million (19 Jul 99)
- Apple Pockets $135 Million in Profit (19 Apr 99)
- Apple Records $152 Million Profit (18 Jan 99)
- iMac Propels Apple to $106 Million in Earnings (19 Oct 98)
- Apple Racks Up $101 Million Profit (20 Jul 98)
- Jobs Announces $45 Million Profit (12 Jan 98)
- The good news (18 Oct 93)
- Small Apple Loss Better Than Expected (22 Jul 96)
- Apple Posts Quarterly... Profit! (21 Oct 96)
- Apple Posts Lower-than-Expected Q3 Loss (21 Jul 97)
- Apple to Reorganize & Lay Off 1,300 People (22 Jan 96)
- Fourth Down, $100 Million To Go (06 Jan 97)
- Apple Posts $55 Million Quarterly Profit (20 Apr 98)
- Apple Store Books $500,000 in 12 Hours (17 Nov 97)
- Apple Posts $161 Million Fourth Quarter Loss (20 Oct 97)
- Apple Posts $708 Million Loss (21 Apr 97)
Published in TidBITS 322.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Happy Birthday, Apple!
- Greg Marriott Attacked
- TidBITS on TV
- QuickDNS Pro 1.1 Released
- Motorola Math Library for Power Macs
- GeoPort News
- AISS Upgrades
- Netscape 3.0 Preview
- Searching for the System 7.5 Update 2.0 CD
- Open Door Enables Multihomed Web Servers
- InterviewBITS with Darryl Peck, Part 2 of 2
Apple to Lose $700 Million
with our easy-to-use small ScanSnap Scanner line. Eliminate
paper piles by scanning documents, business cards, and receipts.
Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>