AISS Upgrades -- In TidBITS-317 I commented that upgrades for the software bundled with the Apple Internet Server Solution 1.0 depended on each individual software company. Some, like StarNine and Bare Bones have been good about providing updates, but that's not guaranteed. However, Kate Wormington of Apple tells me that customers who purchased the AISS 1.0 on or after 01-Sep-95 can order PageMill directly from Apple's order center at 800/950-5382 x759 for the cost of shipping and handling. In addition, updates to a few other programs are available on Apple's Server Solution Web site. That site will reportedly soon contain links to some of the developers of the software that comes in the 2.0 bundle, complete with upgrade discounts. Apple eventually hopes to set up one-stop Web ordering for these upgrades. [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Serving Up Servers (04 Mar 96)
Published in TidBITS 322.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Happy Birthday, Apple!
- Greg Marriott Attacked
- TidBITS on TV
- Apple to Lose $700 Million
- QuickDNS Pro 1.1 Released
- Motorola Math Library for Power Macs
- GeoPort News
- Netscape 3.0 Preview
- Searching for the System 7.5 Update 2.0 CD
- Open Door Enables Multihomed Web Servers
- InterviewBITS with Darryl Peck, Part 2 of 2
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to William Ching, Mark Williamson, Lori, and FLORENT
ADRIEN for their generous support!