Star Trek fans were thrilled when an engineering firm last year introduced a "real tricorder," a handheld sensing device that records temperature, ambient light, barometric pressure, and electromagnetic radiation of a few kinds, but weren't as thrilled with the $400 price tag. Soon Trekkies who already own a Newton MessagePad can add Tricorder MP, a $69 utility expected this month from Sir Isaac Software that takes advantage of the Newton's infrared port and internal temperature sensor to scan the environment. [AHM]
Type Faster by Competing in Races
A fun way to improve your typing speed and accuracy is to join an online typing competition at typrX. This typing competition keeps track of your typing speed, while allowing you to compete against other people, either around the world in public races or with friends in private races. To set up a private race with your friends, follow these simple steps.
- Once you have a typrX account, click the Create Private Race button on the front page and you’ll be taken to the private race page.
- From there, copy the track code URL and send it to the friends you want to join the race.
- You can click the Delay Countdown button to add 10 seconds to the clock if you are waiting on your friend to join the race.
Published in TidBITS 321.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Perot & Forbes to Buy Apple?
- Give Back to AOL
- My First C Compiler
- Point of Presence Company Expands
- Netscape Sleep Plug-In
- TidBITS Staff Cited
- Mac of the Month Club
- WebCommando Moves In
- Larger Newton Due This Spring
- Microsoft Testers Threaten Strike
- FEdit Returns!
- Internet Downsizing Brings Heavy Losses
Star Trek fans
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>