Congratulations to Bill Gruber of mac.com, Louis Mendelowitz of pobox.com, and Paul Gould of maya.com, whose entries were chosen randomly in the last DealBITS drawing and who received a copy of Labels & Addresses 1.3.3, worth $49.95. But don't fret if you didn't win, since BeLight Software is offering a 30-percent-off discount on Labels & Addresses 1.3.3 to all TidBITS readers through 9 December 2009. Thanks to the 698 people who entered this DealBITS drawing, and we hope you'll continue to participate in the future!
Copy Existing Filename to 'Save As' Field
While many utilities provide file naming automation, they're mostly overkill for those cases when you need to make small variations in file content while ensuring the documents group together in a "by name" list.
In the Save As dialog, the default name is the current document name. You can quickly change this to match any existing file.
1. Make the list of files the active element.
2. Click on a grayed-out filename, which momentarily turns black.
3. The Save As field now contains the filename you just clicked.
You can modify the name (adding, say, "version 3") or overwrite that existing file you clicked.
Published in TidBITS 1004.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Submit Ideas for the 2009 TidBITS Gift Guide
- Free Wi-Fi Abounds with Holiday Sponsorships
- New Ebooks about the iPhone and iPod touch
- HD Radio Comes to iPhone via Adapter
- Fix 10.6.2's Broken Slide Show Screen Saver
- Catch a Google Wave with Waveboard
- WikiReader Puts Wikipedia in Your Pocket
- A Finder-Copying Bug in Snow Leopard
- Put More Pixels on Your Desktop with ViBook+
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 16 November 2009
- ExtraBITS for 16 November 2009
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk for 16 November 2009