Congratulations to Bill Gruber of mac.com, Louis Mendelowitz of pobox.com, and Paul Gould of maya.com, whose entries were chosen randomly in the last DealBITS drawing and who received a copy of Labels & Addresses 1.3.3, worth $49.95. But don't fret if you didn't win, since BeLight Software is offering a 30-percent-off discount on Labels & Addresses 1.3.3 to all TidBITS readers through 9 December 2009. Thanks to the 698 people who entered this DealBITS drawing, and we hope you'll continue to participate in the future!
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Published in TidBITS 1004.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Submit Ideas for the 2009 TidBITS Gift Guide
- Free Wi-Fi Abounds with Holiday Sponsorships
- New Ebooks about the iPhone and iPod touch
- HD Radio Comes to iPhone via Adapter
- Fix 10.6.2's Broken Slide Show Screen Saver
- Catch a Google Wave with Waveboard
- WikiReader Puts Wikipedia in Your Pocket
- A Finder-Copying Bug in Snow Leopard
- Put More Pixels on Your Desktop with ViBook+
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 16 November 2009
- ExtraBITS for 16 November 2009
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk for 16 November 2009