Apple Recalling Early PowerBook 5300s -- MacWEEK reports that Apple is quietly recalling some early PowerBook 5300s shipped on or before 12-Nov-95 and with serial numbers at FC545 or lower. Before you ask, no, the problem doesn't have anything to do with fire, but rather a potential lock-up during intense use of a PC Card and expansion-bay devices like the floppy drive. Users experiencing problems can call the Apple Assistance Center at 800/767-2775 to get their machines serviced under warranty. [GD]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software