Apple Recalling Early PowerBook 5300s -- MacWEEK reports that Apple is quietly recalling some early PowerBook 5300s shipped on or before 12-Nov-95 and with serial numbers at FC545 or lower. Before you ask, no, the problem doesn't have anything to do with fire, but rather a potential lock-up during intense use of a PC Card and expansion-bay devices like the floppy drive. Users experiencing problems can call the Apple Assistance Center at 800/767-2775 to get their machines serviced under warranty. [GD]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Apple Recalling Early PowerBook 5300s
Convert double-sided documents to PDF with the one-button ScanSnap.
Scan documents, business cards, and receipts, and eliminate
paper piles from your desk. Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>