Open Transport 1.1b16 Public Beta -- Apple has a released a public beta of Open Transport 1.1, which addresses many existing problems plus runs on both 68K and Power Macintosh machines. The beta is unsupported (so you can't ask Apple for help) and is only recommended for experienced users familiar with their network configuration; however, users of PCI Power Macs might be particularly interested in the release. The beta does not function on Performa 5200, 5300, 6200, and 6300 computers, along with the Macintosh IIvi, and Apple also recommends against installing it on the PowerBook 190, 2300, and 5300, or on PowerBook 540s running System 7.5.2. Be sure to check out the ReadMe files and notes before installing; so far, reports I've seen indicate that the beta is functioning well. There are two installations available, one with a set of floppy disk images and one as an all-in-one Net Install; both are a little over 2.5 MB in size. [GD]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- Apple Releases System 7.5.3 (11 Mar 96)