Stairways Software has released an update that fine-tunes its popular macro utility Keyboard Maestro. In version 4.2, pressing the Option key enables you to edit macros chosen from the Status menu or floating palettes, a palette of macros displays when a duplicate hotkey is pressed, a new action can execute other macros, and certain macros can be canceled by neglecting their required actions. Also, typed string triggers can now contain Return characters, AppleScript error logging is available, regular helpful program tips can be received via email, and MIDI triggers and MIDI actions are available for Note On, Note Off, and Control Change. Finally, several bugs have been fixed, including a sorting issue with the macro list and a crashing bug in the Select Menu Item action editor. ($36 new, free update, 9 MB)
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.