Alpha Acrobat Plug-In Available -- Last week, Adobe released alpha versions of Amber, its Acrobat Reader plug-in for Netscape Navigator, for both 68K and Power Macintosh. Amber is the codename for a full update to both Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Exchange; the Amber plug-in allows Acrobat PDF documents to be viewed directly in Netscape's window, and integrates those documents directly into Netscape's navigation commands. Though Amber includes some optimizations for Internet use (including progressive rendering technologies and the ability to go to any page in a PDF document), these require specially-optimized PDF files and "byteserver" capabilities on Web servers. Adobe is already working with Netscape, Open Market, StarNine, and other vendors to include these features; in the meantime, Adobe has a lot of information about Amber available on its Web site. I have read reports of problems downloading the 4 MB release; I'd suggest waiting until non-peak hours (Pacific time) before trying to download it. [GD]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software