St. Clair Software has released a maintenance and stability update to the Open/Save dialog enhancement utility Default Folder X. Version 4.3.7 brings drag-and-drop capabilities to the Default Folders list in System Preferences, enabling users to add folders and applications more easily. Also, several shortcuts for working with preferences have been added, and support now exists for the AppleScript commands GetCurrentFolder and GetCurrentSelection, which return the current folder or selection when the file dialog is open. Finally, the update resolves several compatibility issues with FileMaker 11, Word 2008, MacPyMOL, and Apimac's Compress Files. A full list of changes is available on St. Clair Software's Web site. ($34.95 new, free update, 9.9 MB)
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software