Netscape Live3D -- Last Friday, Netscape announced that it plans to acquire Paper Software Inc., makers of the popular WebFX VRML (Virtual Reality Markup Language) software for Windows. Paper Software's VRML technology will be rolled into future releases of Netscape Navigator as Netscape Live3D, which will allow inline support of three-dimensional VRML graphics as defined by the just-announced "Moving Worlds" VRML 2.0 standard. Though more than 50 companies have announced support for VRML 2.0, Apple noticeably has not. Beta releases of Netscape Live3D are available for Windows 95 and Windows NT, with a Macintosh release expected "later this quarter." [GD]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Published in TidBITS 315.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- New URL Format
- Chat with Tonya
- Smart Licensing Move
- Beta Java Development Kit Released for Mac
- Cyberdog Beta Available for Power Macs
- Shockwave Beta 1 Netscape Plug-In
- Corel "Quadrupling" Mac Team
- Royal Software Acquires Heizer
- Reviews Survey
- Man Wins... This Time
- The Telecommunications Act: The Good, Bad, and Unknown