Yazsoft has released a major upgrade to its secure Bonjour remote networking utility ShareTool, which enables users to access local resources over the Internet. While similar to Apple's Back to My Mac service, ShareTool also enables users to print to local printers and use iTunes Music Sharing, iPhoto Sharing, and SFTP, in addition to basic file and screen sharing. (And, of course, it doesn't require a MobileMe account.) Major changes in ShareTool 2.0 include support for connecting to multiple networks simultaneously, the capability to save login information to the Keychain, and improved security, performance, and reliability. The latest version also adds transparent SOCKS/HTTPS proxy support, doesn't require users to remember IP addresses or port numbers, introduces on-the-fly compression for improved performance, and ensures secure Wi-Fi hotspot Web browsing. ($15 new per computer, free upgrade for users who have purchased in the past month, 9.3 MB)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Automatic’s connected car adapter with iPhone apps on
Automatic’s platform, drivers are able to drive safer and smarter.
TidBITS readers get 20% off all orders at <http://automatic.com/tb>
Slink has a number of advantages over ShareTool. Happy to answer any questions.