Internet Explorer Beta 2 -- Microsoft has released the second beta of its Internet Explorer Web browser for the Macintosh. (See TidBITS-311.) In addition to several bug fixes, this version revises some of Internet Explorer's interface (including its History function, tool bar, settings, and keyboard shortcuts); unfortunately, it has yet to eliminate that embarrassing animated Windows logo, and it still creates one file per bookmark. Although I've seen mixed reports, in my experience this release is considerably less stable than the first beta. [GD]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Microsoft Unveils Internet Explorer for Mac (22 Jan 96)