The link testing utility BLT has been acquired by Before Dawn Software and given a small update (for more about BLT, see "Verifying Web Links in PDF Files," 14 March 2008). The just-released BLT 1.0.4 fixes a bug dealing with sites that have too many redirects on a given page, implements an automatic update mechanism, sends error reports to the developer, and builds in a new licensing engine. Existing owners will have to create a new account to generate a new license. ($24.95 new, free update, 1.7 MB)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 06 September 2010 (06 Sep 10)
- Verifying Web Links in PDF Files (14 Mar 08)