It takes time to update powerful programs, but Microsoft says that Office 2011 for the Mac will be available on 26 October 2010 (it's available for pre-order now). The updated productivity suite promises performance boosts along with newly revealed extras such as Full Screen Mode - which lets you block out distractions while writing in Word - and Dynamic Reorder - which lets you reorder layers in documents and presentations. Office 2011 will be available in several editions: Home and Student Edition includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Messenger for $119. Home and Business Edition adds Outlook - which replaces Entourage - for $199. And the Academic Edition offers the entire suite, including Outlook, for just $99... if you're a higher education student, staffer, or faculty member.follow link
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- ExtraBITS for 4 October 2010 (03 Oct 10)
Microsoft Office 2011 Arrives 26 October
Is it known whether VBA Excel Macro support has been included in Office 2011?
I believe I read that the new Office will only work with Intel processors. Is this so? I still like my old Powerbook.
Office 2011 System Requirements
That page isn't on a Microsoft server but they're handling fulfillment of Microsoft's "buy Office 2008 now, get Office 2011 free" program.
Office 2011 upgrade
I'm okay with this. The last PowerPC computers were discontinued in August 2006, over 4 years ago. Office 2008 and 2011 don't have differing file formats and Entourage will still work with Exchange servers for years, even if they limit access to using Exchange Web Services (EWS) only.
I may have trouble with the resolution requirements going from 1024x768 to 1280x800. We have a lot of classroom projectors that only do 1024x768 and typically have the computers set to match for mirroring. The requirement for Office 2010 for Windows is still 1024x768.