Not All that Flickers is Gold -- There have recently been numerous reports of video flickering and color distortion in 5200-series Performas and LCs - particularly distressing to owners because the built-in monitors can't be detached for service. Symptoms include shifts between color tints that last anywhere from a fraction of a second to several minutes. The problem appears to be related to the 5200 analog board and may be more prevalent in earlier units, although Apple hasn't confirmed this information. Users experiencing problems should contact their Apple dealers or call 800/SOS-APPL. [GD]
Copy Existing Filename to 'Save As' Field
While many utilities provide file naming automation, they're mostly overkill for those cases when you need to make small variations in file content while ensuring the documents group together in a "by name" list.
In the Save As dialog, the default name is the current document name. You can quickly change this to match any existing file.
1. Make the list of files the active element.
2. Click on a grayed-out filename, which momentarily turns black.
3. The Save As field now contains the filename you just clicked.
You can modify the name (adding, say, "version 3") or overwrite that existing file you clicked.
Published in TidBITS 308.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- PageMill Demo
- Gartner Tech Support Study Online
- Symantec Announces Java Tools
- More Secure Mac Web Servers
- It Takes Two to Tango
- PPP Comments & Updates
- Holiday Lights
- Shopping Online
- Retro Software: Everything Old Is New Again
- The Short Unhappy Life of Online in Europe
- Quicken 6 Follow-up
- 10th Annual SF Macworld Netter's Dinner
Not All that Flickers is Gold
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as "Tx" for "TextExpander". With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and