More Secure Mac Web Servers -- StarNine recently released the $1,295 WebSTAR SSL Security Toolkit. The Security Toolkit includes WebSTAR/SSL, a version of WebSTAR that uses the open-standard SSL (Secure Socket Layer) protocol developed by Netscape Communications and RSA Technologies. It also comes with additional utilities for setting up and running a secure Web site. The SSL protocol provides a secure channel of communications to prevent eavesdropping on Web connections, server authentication to verify the identity of the originating Web site, and data integrity to ensure that the transmitted data arrives intact. To take advantage of the security features of WebSTAR/SSL, users must use an SSL-capable Web browser, such as Netscape Navigator. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 308.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- PageMill Demo
- Gartner Tech Support Study Online
- Symantec Announces Java Tools
- Not All that Flickers is Gold
- It Takes Two to Tango
- PPP Comments & Updates
- Holiday Lights
- Shopping Online
- Retro Software: Everything Old Is New Again
- The Short Unhappy Life of Online in Europe
- Quicken 6 Follow-up
- 10th Annual SF Macworld Netter's Dinner