Corel has released version 12 of Corel Painter, one of the longest-running graphics applications for the Mac. The new release comes with a number of enhancements, including much-improved performance and a user interface that can be fully customized to fit each user’s needs. The main new feature, however, is Painter’s support for new realistic brushes, which, according to the company, reproduce the “movement and feeling of traditional art on canvas” when used with a graphics tablet. A free 30-day trial version is available. ($429 new, $229 upgrade, 297 MB)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Corel Painter 12
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Kathleen Larson, Michael Josephy, Jill Shoen, and
Jim ONeil for their generous support!
• New Watercolor and Wet Oil brushes, now getting the RealBristle moniker (basically even more realistic brushes of these types than were available before... you can now control such details as the direction of the wind blowing as your watercolors dry!)
• Some new flashy tools (one or two of these seem to show up with every major release):
- Kaleidoscope or Mandala Painting: "transform brushstrokes into a balanced spectrum of colourful shapes or blends from 3 to 12 planes"
- Mirror Painting: "create automatic symmetry by mirroring the plane vertically and horizontally. Mirror placement can also be moved or rotated"
(quoted from bullet points Corel’s press release).
You can see videos of the new features here: