Apple Buys a Piece of AOL -- Last week, Apple announced it exercised existing warrants with America Online (acquired as part of a 1992 agreement) to purchase a 5.1 percent stake in AOL. The purchase totals two million shares and cost Apple about $12.5 million, but has an estimated value of about $160 million. Although most analysts see this as a good investment decision, it does raise questions about Apple's future plans for eWorld. [GD]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree