Navigating open and save dialogs will be even easier with St. Clair Software’s release of Default Folder X 4.4, which offers performance enhancements, new features, and improved compatibility with applications. New features include display of favorites even if they’re on unmounted drives, preloading of favorites and recent folders to improve performance, a three-finger swipe gesture to navigate up the folder hierarchy, and focus on the search field when Command-F is pressed. Along with some largely cosmetic bug fixes, Default Folder X 4.4 now works better with Firefox 4, QuarkXPress, REALbasic, Chromium, Brother ControlCenter, Shimo, and Neu. Notably, version 4.4 is compatible with Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4, which is good news for full compatibility once Lion finally ships. Version 4.4.1 shipped hard on the heels of 4.4 to fix two key bugs. ($34.95 new, free update, 10.5 MB)
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software