Cultured Code has released Things 1.5.0, a minor update to its task organization app that improves its compatibility with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Since version 1.4.5, released in March 2011, the app has received a number of bug fixes that affect everything from crashes to more subtle issues related to syncing with the Things’s iOS counterparts, working in the background and various user interface elements. In addition, Cultured Code has added support for executing AppleScripts directly from within the software. ($49.99 new from Cultured Code or the Mac App Store, free update, 8.0 MB, release notes)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree