Mark Allan has released ClamXav 2.2.1, a minor update to the free virus-checking software. The most significant change in this release is the correction of several scheduling bugs that were affecting Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger users. According to Allan, this is also the last update for Tiger users, who are now advised to turn off automatic updates, although they will continue to receive new virus definitions. ClamXav 2.2.1 — though not the version available from the Mac App Store — now also launches its Sentry background virus checker immediately when the user asks it to do so in the settings panel. (Free from Allan’s Web site or from the Mac App Store, 13 MB)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
with our easy-to-use small ScanSnap Scanner line. Eliminate
paper piles by scanning documents, business cards, and receipts.
Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>
The vers of ClamXav in the app store is Lite. To get into the store (comply with Apple's machinations), Mark had to cripple the product by removing functionality - like Sentry! People that get it from the store really should go get the full app from Mark's site.