$10,000 Internet Security Challenge -- I wrote about the WebMaster Macintosh security challenge back in TidBITS-295 and, as expected, no one was able to break WebSTAR's security and claim the prize of free passes to the WebEdge conference. Now the stakes have increased. Seven companies - StarNine, EveryWare, Maxum, ComVista Internet Solutions, WebEdge, Digital Forest, and Westwind Computing - have joined forces to offer a more lucrative prize of $10,000. The new challenge is similar: you must break WebSTAR's security to find information that's isn't available to the public and report it by midnight on 30-Nov-95. Check out the rest of the details online if you are interested. [ACE]
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard