Contextual menus have returned to the latest update of St. Clair Software’s Default Folder X 4.4.8, making them available in all Open and Save dialogs and enabling you to rename, delete, get info, and compress any file. This release of the Open and Save dialog enhancement utility also brings compatibility with the latest version of Google Chrome, adds support for QuickTime Player X, improves the capability to ignore certain folders, and fixes a variety of bugs that caused Default Folder X to crash or hang. ($34.95 new with $10 off for TidBITS members, free update, 10.5 MB, release notes)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software