A major new release, Ergonis’s Typinator 5 typing expansion utility has been updated with a plethora of new features, the biggest of which is scripting support. Text expansions can now execute external scripts written in AppleScript, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, and other shell scripting languages, and then include those results in the expansion. Other new features include date and time calculations, a calculator in the Quick Search field, and the option to delete characters typed immediately before an abbreviation. The internal expansion mechanism has been redesigned with improved support for Undo and handling of fast typing during expansion processing, and the update includes a variety of fixes to improve stability. (€24.99 new with a 25-percent discount for TidBITS members, free update for licenses purchased on or after 1 June 2011, 4.4 MB, release notes)
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Bake, John Findlay, Douglas Chalmers, and George
Alvarez-Correa for their generous support!