Apple has released a quartet of firmware updates for models released in 2011: iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.9, Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.6, MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.4, and MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.7. Each update improves reliability when booting from the network, addresses issues with HDCP authentication after rebooting, and fixes a problem with boot device selection when a USB storage device is hot-plugged. As with any firmware update, you should read the installation instructions carefully before installing and avoid interrupting the update process. To ensure you get an update only if it’s necessary, we recommend relying on Software Update; if an update doesn’t appear for you, it’s not appropriate for your Mac. (Free, each approximately 4 MB)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 27 February 2012 (27 Feb 12)
- Fixing Find My Mac (27 Feb 12)
Firmware Updates for iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro
Convert double-sided documents to PDF with the one-button ScanSnap.
Scan documents, business cards, and receipts, and eliminate
paper piles from your desk. Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>