DEVONtechnologies has updated the three editions of its DEVONagent research-support tool (Lite, Express, and Pro), each of which enables you to extract and manage query results from multiple search engines. All three are updated with an SEC (U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission) plug-in, improved French localization, and fixes to minor interface glitches. The Express edition adds a Thumbnail Gallery scanner, the capability to generate thumbnail images via Thumbshots.com, and an improved marketing default search set (which crawls through over 200 Mac- and tech-related news sites). In addition to these improvements, the Pro edition adds support for Google Chrome bookmarks and the capability to add scripts from the Toolbar subfolder to the toolbar of search and browser windows. It also eliminates use of Apple Mail as a fallback if email sending fails, improves the Support Assistant, and brings several minor fixes. For a complete list of additions, fixes, and improvements, see the release notes for the Pro edition, which cover all three versions. The Pro edition is available from both the DEVONtechnologies site and the Mac App Store, while the Lite and Express editions are available only from the Mac App Store. ($49.99/$4.99/Free, free updates, 3.2 to 26.3 MB)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree