In conjunction with the update to the just-released GarageBand iOS app (see “iPhoto Joins iLife for iOS, Apple Updates Other Apps,” 7 March 2012), Apple has updated GarageBand ’11 for the Mac to version 6.0.5. It updates compatibility with GarageBand for iOS projects, fixes an issue with playing GarageBand Lesson preview videos, and corrects issues with incorrect or stuck notes in some software instruments. Additionally, the update promises improvements in general compatibility plus overall stability and performance. ($14.99 new from the Mac App Store, free update through Software Update or the Mac App Store, 47.61 MB)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
GarageBand ’11 6.0.5
Check out the Take Control ebooks that expand on the topic in this article:
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Grabird, Ken Spencer, Mike Alexander, and Sebastien
thugnet for their generous support!