Study Finds Macs Cheaper to Support -- A study of technical support costs in corporate computing by Gartner Group Consulting Services found no incremental costs for companies supporting both the Mac and Windows platforms, as opposed to the cost of supporting Windows alone. In addition, the study found supporting Macs costs 25 percent less than supporting Windows, and that the higher the percentage of Macintosh computers in an organization, the lower the total technical support costs. It's worth noting the study was completed before Windows 95 was available, so the costs of upgrading to Windows 95 and its long-term support aren't included. [GD]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree