Apple has released Java for OS X Lion 2012-001 and Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 7, which both address a vulnerability in the Java framework that can be exploited by the Flashback malware. Ars Technica reported on Monday that the latest variant of the malware can utilize a Java vulnerability “to hijack Macs even when users don’t enter an administrative password.” According to Apple’s security overview for this update, this can occur when visiting a Web page that is running an untrusted Java applet. (For more about Flashback, see “Beware the Morphing Flashback Malware,” 27 February 2012.) The update is available via Software Update and direct download. (Free, 66.9 MB and 79.7 MB)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- How to Detect and Protect Against Updated Flashback Malware (05 Apr 12)
- Beware the Morphing Flashback Malware (27 Feb 12)
Java for OS X Lion 2012-001 and Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 7
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>