Offering preliminary support for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Rogue Amoeba’s Audio Hijack Pro gets bumped up to version 2.10.4 with an updated Instant On component (now version 6) that improves overall system audio capture. In fact, the Instant On component is now required for capturing audio from Safari and QuickTime Player when running Mountain Lion, as well as when snagging audio from a Fluid app. ($32 new, free update, 5.2 MB, release notes)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree