Getting its ducks in a row before some upcoming OS X updates become available, C-Command Software has released SpamSieve 2.9.3, which adds support for the forthcoming Mac OS X 10.7.5. The latest release of the spam-filtering software fixes a bug that prevented the app from auto-launching on the soon-to-be released 10.8 Mountain Lion, as well as improves recovery from certain “unexpected” system errors. The update also improves instructions for automatically deleting old spam messages, enables use of the system’s integrated GPU to help reduce battery use on the latest MacBook Pro models, and fixes a layout bug in the German-localized Statistics window. ($30 new, free update, 10 MB, release notes)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree