DEVONtechnologies has updated all three editions of DEVONthink (Personal, Pro, and Pro Office) plus DEVONnote to version 2.4, bringing compatibility with the new features of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. In particular, the releases support Notification Center, play nicely with Gatekeeper, and add a share button for sharing documents via iMessage, Mail, Twitter, Facebook, and AirDrop (as well as adding them to Safari’s Reading List). With added 64-bit support, database sizes are now bound only by the available memory and performance of your Mac. All three versions of DEVONthink can now import scans and images from scanners and cameras that are compatible with Image Capture (including iOS devices). Previously, this feature was available only in the Pro Office version. (All updates are free. DEVONthink Pro Office, $149.95 new; DEVONthink Professional, $79.95 new; DEVONthink Personal, $49.95 new, release notes; DEVONnote, $24.95 new, release notes)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree