Apple has released two Java SE 6 updates that deal with recent vulnerabilities identified by Oracle. The Java for OS X 2012-005 update for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and 10.7 Lion deactivates the Java plug-in when no apps have run for an extended period of time. If the previous Java update for Lion wasn’t installed (2012-004), this update disables the Java plug-in immediately. The Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 10 for 10.6 Snow Leopard similarly configures Web browsers to not automatically run Java and deactivates after no app activity for an extended time. Both updates from Apple bring Java up to version 1.6.0_35, and you can re-enable Java in both by clicking the region labeled “Inactive plug-in” on a Web page. The updates are available via Software Update and direct download, and Apple reminds you to quit any Web browsers and Java applications before installing either one. (Free, 67.2 MB and 81.9 MB)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Java for OS X 2012-005 and Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 10
Put your company and products in front of tens of thousands of
savvy, committed Apple users who actually buy stuff.
More information: <http://tidbits.com/advertising.html>