Apple has released iMovie ’11 9.0.8 with a typically cryptic note about the update: “Addresses an issue related to third-party QuickTime components that could prevent iMovie from opening.” However, according to this support page, it appears that one of the third-party culprits is the 3ivx component (used to enhance compatibility with such camcorders as the Flip Ultra and Flip Mino). If you currently have 3ivx installed, version 9.0.8 of iMovie displays a warning dialog that explains how to remove the component. ($14.99 new from the Mac App Store, free update through Software Update or the Mac App Store, 1.08 GB)
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.