Sporting a long list of improvements and fixes, Rogue Amoeba’s Fission 2.1 has made it through the release door (for a recent review, see “Fission 2: Electric Audio-Editing Boogaloo,” 19 September 2012). First among the changes is that the audio editing software is now fully Retina-enabled, but there are more interesting improvements under the hood. Notably, MP3 export now supports both constant bit rate (CBR) and variable bit rate (VBR), AAC export now supports High Efficiency encoding (HE-AAC), and support for additional sample rates has been added to the ALAC, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV formats. Plus, any file can now use the Save As Chapterized AAC option, files imported via QuickTime prevent accidental overwriting by allowing only exports, the Start window now accepts dragged files of all supported file types from the Finder or from iTunes, Save dialogs now properly handle file extensions, audio can be imported from .mov, .wma, .avi, and .mp4 files, and more. ($32 new with a 20-percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 10.6 MB, release notes)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Fission 2: Electric Audio-Editing Boogaloo (19 Sep 12)