On the heels of the major release of BusyCal 2 (see “BusyCal 2 and Free Ebook about Calendar Syncing and Sharing,” 26 October 2012), BusyMac has now released BusyCal 2.0.1, adding its own alarm window as an alternative to Notification Center alarms, and adding the HH:MM time format to the Appearance preferences. Otherwise, the new version of the competitor to Apple’s Calendar offers a laundry list of bug fixes related to full screen mode, the BusyCal Menu utility, entering times in 24-hour format, meeting invitations, custom date ranges, time zones, repeating To Dos, and more. A number of crashing bugs have also been eliminated. ($49.99 new, but currently selling for $29.99 solely via the Mac App Store, free update, 8.3 MB, release notes)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Check out the Take Control ebooks that expand on the topic in this article:
better-looking. Edit your PDFs anywhere. Sign contracts, make
changes, fill forms, and more. All while you’re on the move.
Syncs via iCloud and Dropbox. <http://smle.us/tbpdfpen-ipad>