If you’ve been inundated with alerts telling you are running an unlicensed copy of Microsoft Office 2011 since installing the most recent Service Pack 3 (a.k.a. version 14.3.0), then you’ll be happy to learn that the newly issued version 14.3.1 should take care of that problem. Aside from the proper acknowledgement of your licensed status (and minimized annoyance), the update offers no other changes. (Free updates via the Office for Mac Web site or through Microsoft AutoUpdate, 106 MB, release notes)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Microsoft Office 2011 14.30 (31 Jan 13)