Code 42 Software has released CrashPlan 3.5.2, a small maintenance release for the popular Internet backup software that does make one major change — dropping support for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. (To learn more about CrashPlan, check out Joe Kissell’s “Take Control of CrashPlan Backups.”) A CrashPlan support page notes that current backups and restores will continue uninterrupted, but it does recommend upgrading to a later edition of Mac OS X in order to take advantage of features in future versions. CrashPlan 3.5.2 adds support for Retina displays, support for Java 7, and localizations for Japanese, Portuguese, Chinese (Simplified) and Chinese (Traditional). It also fixes an issue with Web restore that affected some users, improves cross-platform computer adoptions, and ensures the menu bar no longer disappears after the system wakes from sleep. There’s no need to download CrashPlan 3.5.2 manually, as the app will automatically upgrade on its own on Macs running 10.5 Leopard and later (though it might take a few days). (Free with a 30-day trial of the CrashPlan+ online backup service, 21.2 MB, release notes)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Check out the Take Control ebooks that expand on the topic in this article:
Put your company and products in front of tens of thousands of
savvy, committed Apple users who actually buy stuff.
More information: <http://tidbits.com/advertising.html>