St. Clair Software has updated its Open and Save dialog enhancement utility Default Folder X 4.5.7 with a single fix to resolve a conflict with the BetterTouchTool gesture utility (and other mouse drivers) that caused file dialogs to hang in some instances. This version follows the release of Default Folder X 4.5.5 earlier in the week, which fixed an issue that caused the menu bar menu to fail to respond on occasion and corrected a problem with inconsistent rebound functionality after launching or switching between applications. The update also adds Quick Look previews to the Default Folder X’s contextual menu within Open and Save dialogs (accessed via Control- or right-clicking). ($34.95 new, $10 off for TidBITS members, free update, 11.4 MB, release notes)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Default Folder X 4.5.8 (13 Mar 13)